I totally get it! Home staging can be overwhelming — especially for those who don’t have a knack for it.
Here are a few foolproof design tips to help pull you out of your decorating/staging paralysis and get your home headed on the right track:
- Invest in the classics. Go trendy on the cheap. Things like the sofa, your bed, an area rug, and the coffee table should be quality, neutral pieces that will last for years to come. Then add trendy patterns and color on the cheap with throw pillows, accessories, and lamps.
- Coordinate but don’t match. While buying a furniture set is convenient, it can make your home look like a run-of-the-mill furniture showroom. Instead, choose pieces that complement but aren’t matchy-matchy.
- Hang photos and art at the right height. One of the biggest mistakes homeowners make is hanging wall art too high. Above furniture, like a sofa or console table, art should be no more than six to nine inches above the top of the furniture.
- There’s a mirror for that. Unsure what to place on that empty wall? Go with a mirror. It’ll add light and make the space instantly feel larger.
- Hang those curtains high. Not doing so makes your room and windows look squatty and cramped. Hang the curtain rod high; you can even go as high as a few inches below the ceiling.
- Think in threes. When putting the finishing touches on a bookshelf, mantle, or console table – go for groups of three. Odd numbers look best, as does changing up the height of each piece.
If you need an expert eye beyond these tips, send me a message. I’d love to connect you with a few incredibly talented designers in our area!
…Not living your best life in your dream home yet? You are not alone, but I’m here to help you make it happen! Get my FREE home buyers guide to help get you into your dream home.